Use ILL to get articles not available in Flint.
Articles arrive within 1 to 3 days as full text online documents.
Login to the ILLIAD system and fill out the citation form for LOAN-BOOK.
Email sent when the item arrives at Thompson Library so you can come pick it up.
Items from other insitutions usually arrive by mail within 3 to 5 weeks from request date.
This is a different service from GET THIS, which is used to get materials from UM Libraries for pickup in Flint.
Use the MIRLYN online catalog to find and request books from Ann Arbor libraries using Get This option.
What is Peer Review?
Peer review is an editing process in which a scholar's work is reviewed by experts in a field before being accepted for publication.
More credence is given to journal articles that have gone through a peer review process, ensuring accuracy of content..
JOURNAL FINDER Checks Subscriptions
Have a citation? Not sure where to find the journal?
Use JOURNAL FINDER for a list of journals by title to which our library carries a subscription. Includes links directly to online journal when available.
Different databases may carry a journal either as full text or index only. Check listing for the journal in each database listed it to verify if it is provided as full text or citation only.
Possible locations given in JOURNAL FINDER for full text articles include:
- List of all databases which index journal
- Print (on shelf in the library)
- Microfilm/fiche (1st floor, library)
NOTE: This is NOT an article finder.
It only verifies access to specific journal titles and re-directs you to that journal via links.
START HERE to find Journal and News Articles [short list of recommended databases]
Begin here when looking for articles (business).
See: -- A-Z List of Databases, Business -- for comprehensive list of indexes for finding articles.
NOTE: Databases are online indexes to help you locate journal and trade magazine articles searching by topic words, by author, by journal name -- or in some cases, by ticker symbol.
In some databases, search by ticker symbol. Example: Search Coca Cola Company using the ticker symbol KO, eliminating companies with similar names (such as Coca Cola Bottling Companies). Find Ticker Symbols:
What is a Journal Article?
Not sure what a "journal" is?
- A journal is simliar to a magazine.
- A journal, unlike a magazine, is dedicated to academic topics.
- Journal of American History
- New England Journal of Medicine
- A journal issue consists of articles written by experts within the discipline.
- A journal is intended to be read by someone researching in that discipline.
- A journal article contains language (words/jargon) specific to that discipline.
- A journal article refers the reader to research sources and statistics used to write the article.
- A journal article contains a bibliography (references cited) page at the end.
- A journal consists of many issues (sometimes weekly, monthly or quarterly).
- A journal issue contains several articles which are NOT necessarily on the same topic.
- A journal lists each year since it was first published as a volume. (One volume equals 1 year)
See Help with your Paper tab for more info about journals v magazines.