- html - all web pages are developed using HTML, although each basic page may contain links to many other types of files including graphics, java, video, etc. The file extension may be .htm or .html, for a web page.
- audio - real audio, .wav, .au and .mp3 are the most common audio file types.
- video - real player and shockwave are common video and multimedia viewers
- graphics - .PDF, .GIF, .JPG, and animated GIF files are the most common types of graphics files on the Web.
- text - many types of word processing files, spreadsheets, databases, and hypertext can be seen on the Web or easily translated to HTML.
Common text file types include
- .txt - for plain ascii text files that can be used in any word processor or read in a Web browser.
- .doc for Microsoft Word files
- .wpd for Word Perfect files
- .pdf for Adobe Acrobat files usually viewed on the Web with the Acrobat reader, these are really graphic representations of text
- other Internet Protocols - Many other resources using protocols other than http may all be retrieved via a Web browser
It is important to decide on the type of information or media you need before you start looking, and to know what type of information or media you are viewing as you critically evaluate it.